Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Lost in Manila

So obviously, I did not change my mind and am now here in Manila. I was last here 10 years ago and the changes to the metropolis since then seem overwhelming. I had quite forgotten how big this place is: wide roads, huge buildings, gargantuan malls.

It was a long ride from the airport to the Parc Chateau Condominium in Ortigas Center in Pasig City, where I'm staying, and I passed by Makati City on the way there. The financial district's skyscrapers dot the skyline and everything else seems small in comparison. The flowing stairway of water at the entrace to The Peninsula was eye-catching. So was everything else, I guess.

The taxi driver did not know where Parc Chateau is and so we spent a long time cruising around Ortigas Center to look for the place. We still did not find it. I called our correspondent in Manila for instructions and he told me it was at corner Sapphire and Onyx roads but the tax driver was unfamiliar with these streets. So what I did was just to look for the place on foot. Fortunately, I was only two blocks away from the condo and found it in no time.

The plane ride to Manila was uneventful but the view from up there was really something. I got a window seat and the two seats beside me were unoccupied. I looked down while the plane was climbing up and I saw rows of houses, road networks, mountain ranges, the south reclamation, the south coast road. I had never seen the south reclamation from up there before and it looked so perfect.

We climbed to a higher altitude and I saw clouds wheezed by, below me and above me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home