Monday, May 02, 2005

The world and superstition

Today's conversations between my son and me.

Dylan: Mom, what makes the world go 'round?
Me: (in bed, reading Foucault's Pendulum) Ummm...love...love makes the world go 'round.
Dylan: No, no. I want the real answer.
Me: (still reading) Love is really the answer.
Dylan: (exasperated) Mommmmm...
Me: (shakes sleeping daddy) Dad, Dylan wants to know what makes the world go 'round.
Daddy: (mumbles) Don't know.
Me: (eyes still on book) I don't know, baby. I'll just find out later and tell you tomorrow. K?

Later.....

Dylan: What's a superstition?
Me: (wishing she has dictionary in hand) Things people believe in that are not supported by the natural law.
Dylan: (confused) What?
Me: Well, it's like this. Some people believe that if you break a mirror, you will have bad luck or something for seven years. That's not true, of course. There is no connection between a broken mirror and bad luck. We don't even believe in bad luck.
Dylan: Ahhh...Like it's not true that if you step on a crack, you break your mother's back.
Me: (thinking) Mmmmm....good one.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Alma said...

My daughters ages 4 and 2 asks the same questions too! Most of the time, I am left stumped most of the times too... Kids these days are made of something else, I guess! :)

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger marlen del mar-limpag said...

yeah...they are. that definitely makes our job harder, but more worthwhile. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home